Page last updated on Monday, 28-Jul-2014 10:49:06 BST
Welcome to Godshill Village Website
World War One Centenary – Lights Out
LIGHTS OUT is an invitation to everyone in the UK to turn off their lights from 10pm until 11pm on 4th August 2014, leaving a single light on or candle burning for a shared moment of reflection. This will mark the hour that Britain entered World War 1 one hundred years ago. The British Foreign Secretary (Viscount Edward Grey) on the outbreak of WW1 said “the lamps are going out all over Europe, we shall not see them lit again in our time”
The village of Godshill is a dispersed settlement of around 210 households nestled on the Western Escarpment of the New Forest National Park in the north-western corner.
The village retains strong links with Commoning traditions, and remains a working Forest village.
There are also a relatively high number of younger people within the population.
Much of the physical area of the parish is Crown Land being open forest.
The village itself has a large holiday centre at Sandy Balls, a village hall which is a village hub, the Fighting Cocks pub and the parish church of St Giles.
There is a shop within Sandy Balls and another in the nearby village of Woodgreen.
The small market town of Fordingbridge lies at a distance of 2 miles offers a range of shopping, leisure, health and other facilities to residents and visitors.
Godshill is a major gateway to the attractions of the New Forest, and is also convenient for visiting Salisbury to the north and Bournemouth to the south.
Please take a look around this website managed by the parish council for the village.
Ready for Flooding - information and advice, before, during and after (PDF)
Related Internet Links:
- Hampshire County Council
- New Forest District Council
- New Forest National Park Authority
- Verderers of the New Forest
Godshill Parish Council is not responsible for the content of external internet sites listed within this page or within this section
- News - What will your children be doing this summer?
- News - Transport Options in the New Forest
- Country Watch - 17 July (PDF)
- News - Don’t leave an open house invitation to burglars
- News - Take extra care - strike action update
- News - Free Electric Blanket Safety Checks
- Agenda - 8 July 2014 (PDF)
- Minutes - 13 May 2014 (PDF)
- News - Report antisocial behaviour in your neighbourhood
- News - Electoral registration system is changing this summer
- Calendar of Meetings for 2014
- Advice for Residents on Ash Trees and Chalara Ash Dieback (PDF)
- Godshill Parish Council response to Hampshire Minerals and Waste plan (PDF 24Kb)
- Dogs on your land (PDF)
- Freedom of Information Publication Scheme updated (PDF)
- Parish Council Priorities (PDF file size 89Kb)